Are trying to conceive ? did it become a difficult task to do ?
You don’t have to worry you share this with 15% of the population so you are not alone and by the progress of medicine most of the cases can be solved.
the infertility is defined as being unable to conceive after twelve months of frequent unprotected sex .
If your previously received one or more children then the period will be six months of unprotected sex.
the infertility could be due to either partner , usually the male contribute approximately to one third of cases , the female one third and the last third is due to both of them.
The majority of couples achieve pregnancy within one year (90%) and half of who didn’t will achieve pregnancy the year after it weather treated or not.
You should see a doctor if you have one or more of the following symptoms:
For women :
- Irregular menses or when the period is absent .
- When you get severe pain on the time of period.
- If you are over the age of 40
- You have been previously diagnosed with pelvic inflammatory disease or endometriosis
- Previous unsuccessful pregnancies.
- Previous ectopic pregnancy.
For men :
- Abnormal semen analysis ( sperm count , morphology etc..)
- Pervious testicular, prostate or sexual problems.
- Erectile dysfunction preventing intercourse
What are the common causes of male infertility ??
- Abnormality in the sperm production or functions , could be due to cryptorchidism(undescended testes) , retractile testis which stay most of the time away from the testes, genetic defects or repeated infections.
- Adverse lifestyle factors such alcohol , smoking , drugs, fever, obesity, and poor nutrition.
- Males older than 40 are usually less fertile
- Cancers and it’s treatment may lead to infertility such as chemotherapy and radiation as they impair sperm production.
- Removal of a testes due to testicular cancer or torsion.
- Obstruction on the sperm tract , such as epididymal obstruction (store of sperms) , premature ejaculation, genetic diseases such as cystic fibrosis.
What are the common causes of female infertility ??
- Endomteriosis which is defined as uterine tissue growing outside the uterus and can affect the function of egg , ovary and uterus.
- Ovulation disorders such as anovulatory cycles where no egg production occur and this can be caused by trauma and ovarian tumors . some drugs, excessive exercise and starvation.
- Blockage on the fallopian tubes due recurrent infections .
- Elevated prolactin , hormone responsible for milk production.
- Early menopause defined as abscense of menstruation by age of 40. It is usually of unkown cause but could be due smoking , radiation , immune disease and chemotherapy.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome , it usually cause ovulation problems due androgen overproduction .
- Uterine problems such as large fibroids and abnormal uterine shape as they impair implanation of fertilized egg.
- Pelvic adhesions due to recurrent pelvic infections or surgeries.
- Cervical problems , In which the sperm can not penetrate the cervix to reach egg.
Less common causes in women are :
- Thyroid problems, medication and cancers.
What are the risk factors to infertility ??
- age , the older the less chance. Women after 35 has less fertility and men over 40.
- Smoking and alcohol noticing that after stopping them the chance will increase.
- Weigh , being obese and underweight both will impair fertility .
- Excessive exercise.
for male tests of infertility follow the link:
for female test of infertility follow the link: